Call for Works
Art Moves Des Plaines pop-up exhibit series for 2016 in Des Plaines
Our first Art Moves Des Plaines pop-up gallery was held from October 16 to December 4, 2015. Works by ten artists were displayed for view in a store front in Metropolitan Square in downtown Des Plaines.
The Des Plaines Arts Council (DPAC) announces the next in a series of calls for artists to submit applications for temporary display of public art in Des Plaines. Artworks will be displayed in a store front located in downtown Des Plaines. A reception will be held in August, after the artwork has been installed.
Artists are responsible for the transportation, installation, and setup of their work (including providing an easel or pedestal). Artwork will be accompanied by labels identifying the artist, artwork, and directing interested patrons to the Des Plaines Arts Council website (dpartscouncil.org). A page will be posted on the DPAC website with more information about the artist, purchase price for works on display, and a link to the artist’s website (if available). Submitted works will be reviewed and juried by a committee of DPAC members and community representatives.
If an exhibited work is sold during the Art Moves Des Plaines pop-up show, a 25 percent commission of the sales price will be paid to the Des Plaines Arts Council. These funds will be used to sustain future public art programs in Des Plaines. Preference may be given to work that has already been completed. Conceptual proposals will be considered if the artwork can be completed within the presented timeline, and applications are submitted with clear and detailed specifications and renderings.
A signed contract, license agreement, and hold harmless agreement approved by the Des Plaines Arts Council and the property owners (where applicable) are required before artwork can be displayed. General liability insurance is not required from the artist. However, DPAC does recommend that all artists obtain property insurance to cover their work.
How to Submit an Application
Artists interested in submitting proposals for consideration must submit a completed application with required attachments at: dpartscouncil.org/art-moves-des-plaines/. Applications for the first round of exhibits are due July 18, 2016. Jurying and selection of works will be announced by July 25. Applications for the second round of exhibits will be open until August 31, 2016, with jurying and selection of works to be announced by August 25.
2016 Arts Moves Des Plaines Schedule
• July 11, 2016: Applications Open
• July 18: Jurying and Selections for first round of exhibits begins
• July 25: Initial Selections Announced
• July 26 – 31: Site Selection and Contracts Signed
• August 1: Final Approval of Signed Contracts
• August 1: Artwork Installation Deadline
• August 1 – September 30 First Round of Pop-up Exhibits
• August 31, 2016: Applications Closed
• September 1: Jurying and Selections for second round of exhibits begins
• September 12: Selections Announced for second round of exhibits
• September 26 – 30: Site Selection and Contracts Signed
• October 1: Final Approval of Signed Contracts
• October 1: Artwork Installation Deadline
• October 1 – December 2: Second Round of Pop-up Exhibits
(all dates subject to change)